Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Dresses 26 through 30 - Magical August


"Everything good, everything Magical, happens between the months of June and August"
                                                                        Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty
 
This quote sure fits - In June, I sewed these five August dresses!  I previously showed you the first dress I made from this pattern.  It is my favorite dress I have made to date.  Below are the steps I used to make them, following Jess' perfect and easy instructions.  Links to her website, pattern and instructions are below.

The August Dress Pattern from Happy Together by Jess
                               
Web Site/Instructions
Pattern

This adorable dress slips over the head, and comes in sizes 2 to 9.

  • Size 2/3: chest measurement 20″-21″
  • Size 4/5: chest measurement 22″-23″
  • Size 6/7: chest measurement 24″-25″
  • Size 8/9: chest measurement 26″-27.5

I decided to do the same step to the dresses all at the same time, like an assembly line.  Here are the fabrics:


1.  Ships Ahoy!   Both of these fabrics are by Riley Blake.

2.  Busy Bee.   The bee fabric is by Michael Miller and the brown dot a remnant I had.
 



3.  Monkey Business.  I got both at Joann's Fabrics.



4.  Summer Sizzle.      These are both remnant pieces from Walmart.

5.  August Aquarium.    Blend Fabrics from the Go Fish collection.

Following the pattern instructions I printed, I cut the bodice pieces and lining in a size 6/7.  I made all these the same size for assembly ease, but will be making several different sizes later.   I cut the skirt portion 18 inches (half yard) long, and the contrast band 6 inches.
 











Sew the Shoulder seams together on both fabric and lining.  Open up flat, and sew the fabric to the lining right sides together around the neckline, and the armholes.  Leave sides open.  Clip all seams.
 

Turn the bodice right side out, and iron.  Open the side seams and sew right sides together.  That's it!  Jess' instructions show every step very clearly, its SEW easy!  I made the five bodices in about  2 1/2 hours.  I did the longer front side opposite on two of them. Then I laid out buttons to see what I liked on each one.

Below, cross the long front piece over the short
one and pin.   Sew your buttons through both front pieces to tack them together.  These are decorative, the dress slips over the head.  Bottom edge is secured when attached to the skirt.


Next, I prepared the skirts.  First, I did a French seam to attach the bottom contrast.  This is my personal preference, you do not have to add the contrast.  If you don't, make sure your skirt is cut long enough.   Next, I hemmed the skirt.  Finally, I sewed up the side with a French seam.   You may also zig zag or serge the seams instead.  That's all there is to it! 

Below right, Casey tired out before he finished sewing.
Attaching the Skirt.
You may do this two ways:   Gather the top to fit, or pleat it to fit.  I chose loose pleats, its faster for me than trying to even out a gather stitch!  Its also flatter, too.  Find the front, back and sides of both the skirt and bodice and stick a pin in to mark the points.  Then, attach bodice to skirt at the four points.  Pleat the skirt in the four sections and pin evenly to the OUTER FABRIC only, not the lining.  Leave that loose.   Sew the skirt to the bodice outer fabric.  Turn the dress inside out, folding the lining over the seam.  Sew it down.  Your inside is now neat and all seams enclosed.



I added a pocket and some trim, and done.  Here are the finished dresses:

Ships Ahoy!                                                                                      Summer Sizzle

Busy Bee                                                                                         August Aquarium

Monkey Business

3 comments:

  1. I love the button variety in the front. Just so creative. I have a bizillian buttons given to me by various sources and I can't think of a better way of using them. The blending of two different prints isn't something that comes naturally to me, but I do like it and I will give it a go. I love the trim you added at the bottom of the skirt by using the fabric from the bodice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! bespoke childrens pyjamas

    ReplyDelete