Monday, January 7, 2019

And So it Begins

Hello, my name is Cindy, and this is how I became involved in the Dress a Girl Around the World program.  

Shelley and friends
Last Fall, my friend Shelley posted about her upcoming trip to Uganda with her church to dedicate two new wells, and to take items to the villagers such as flip flops for the boys, mosquito nets, and for the girls, dresses!   Shelley posted multi photos during her trip, and the ones that stood out the most to me were all the beautiful little girls receiving new dresses.  Shelley has given me permission to post the following photos. She helped distribute 600 dresses among 3 villages!






I was intrigued, and when she returned, I asked about them.  She told me about the program Dress a Girl Around the World, and suggested I look at the website.  Girls are not as valued as the boys, and some may never get a new dress.  Also, there is a problem with predators.   These girls live in areas where they are easy targets for trafficking.  By making a pretty dress and putting the DAG tag on the front of the dress, maybe a predator will pass by her when he sees she is connected to an organization. 

The dresses are mostly sundresses, with no buttons or zippers, as there is no way to repair them if they break.  Slip over the head or tie at the shoulder with elastic in the front are the easiest type.  They are to be made from cotton, as they will most likely be washed in a river or stream and need to hold up to that.  The ties are made of double-wide, double fold bias tape. One or two pockets should be placed on the front.  (This might be the only place a girl has to herself for her ‘treasures,’ as many times several family members live in a very tiny house).

There is the basic DAG sundress, or you may use commercial patterns that meet the same requirements.  Here is a sample of patterns:




 After reading every page of the web site, I contacted Monica, the Ambassador of Southern California, and I said I'd like to make some dresses.  She kindly sent me some fabric to get started.  These will be the first dresses I will be making and sending back to Monica for later distribution.  I talked to some of my friends, and they also donated some yardage to get me started.   Special thanks to Kristen, Nancy, Tonya and Val for their donations.   Combined with what I have, I can make a few dozen already.

Shelley is now the Ambassador to Riverside and San Diego!  She is planning on going back to Uganda in 2020 with her church, and wants to take a few hundred dresses with her.  I have friends who are also starting to sew dresses for Shelley.   Between us all, she will have a nice pile of  pretty dresses to take with her.

Please take a minute to browse the website  http://dressagirlaroundtheworld.com for further information.  Also, if you are interested in sewing with us and live in San Diego or Riverside, or anywhere in between, you can join our Facebook Group here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/276341249737929/   

4 comments:

  1. Very inspiring! I'll save any fabric I can for you.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! If others are interested in donating, I could use 1-2 yards of 100% cotton. It must be a sturdier cotton so you cannot see your hand through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re amazing, Cindy - thanks so much for doing this ❤️.

    ReplyDelete