Thursday, March 7, 2019

Rachel, the Pink Cowgirl


I received this adorable pink western fabric from Ambassador Monica.   I immediately thought of the founder of Dress a Girl Around the World, Rachel Eggum Cinader.  Several of her photos show her in a cute, pink cowgirl hat.


Rachel, dresses thirteen and fourteen are dedicated to you, the "Pink Cowgirl."






Rachel founded Dress a Girl Around the World in  October 2009, and according to a recent post she made "We’ve distributed 1.5 million dresses to girls in need in more than 82 countries!"    Photos of Rachel below are from the DAG official Facebook page. Link Here



I received one yard of the pink fabric.  I wanted to make two dresses.  I cut the yard in half from selvage to selvage.  This gave me two 18 inch pieces to start with.

On my last trip to Walmart, I raided the remnant bin.  I got 3/4 yard of Waverly fabric called onyx bandana, for $1.  It coordinated perfectly with the cowgirl print.  I would be using it as the bottom print on the dresses. 




One thing I noticed was the pink print was a bit thin.  The true test is to hold it up to the light.  In this photo, the screen door is easily seen through the fabric. 

If you have a thinner fabric that is cute but may not be usable, there is a simple solution -  line it!   It takes very little extra time.








As you can see in the photo on the right, I cut the skirt lining to the same size as the pink fabric.  I sewed the back seams of both, creating two tubes.





I have always bought gently used sheets from thrift stores to line clothing I make for myself.  They are very soft from several washings.  Once the two tubes are sewn, insert the lining into the fashion fabric, and baste together at the top.  By putting the two seam allowances facing each other on the inside, no seams are showing.


Next, since the pink was only 18 inches long, I added the black and white fabric to the bottom, making it approximately 27 inches, long, after the black was sewn to the bottom.





As seen below left, the inside, lined fashion fabric is sewn with a French seam to the black, and right photo, the outside.  I did not line the black, it is thick enough.


Next, I made my elastic casings, and inserted a 7 1/2 inch piece in the front and back.  Then I added the bias tape ties, 36 inches long. making sure both the lining and the fashion fabric were pinned down good before sewing.
 
 


Left - Here is the dress before trims are added.   


Below.  White rick rack is added between the pink and black fabrics.   I had a fat quarter in a black and white print that matched, and used it to make the pockets.  Remember to line the pockets and make them sturdy for all the treasures to be collected.   Two rows of pink rick rack and a pink button finish off the pocket.                                              
                                                       


















Add the labels, and all done!

No comments:

Post a Comment