Sunday, March 17, 2019

Dresses 15 and 16 - Little Foxes


Dresses Fifteen and Sixteen are all about adorable foxes.

The Fox went out to the chase one night,
Prayed to the moon to give him light,
He had many a mile to go that night,
Before he reached the town-O!
Town-O!  Town-O!
            Folk song sung by Burl Ives

I first bought the fabric with the white background at Joann.  Not long after, Val received some donated items for decorating DAG dresses that she is making.  She shared some with me, and it included some appliques - foxes!  When I went back to Joann, I found a coordinating print to the one I had, with a robin's egg blue background.   I had about one yard each.  I decided to split the fabric and swap out some with the other.  

                                                                                                    
The top and bottom pieces were sewn to the body portion with French seams. Once the three portions were together, I hemmed the bottom. Finally, the seam was sewn down the back.   I added gold rick rack at both the top and bottom seams.   Elastic was sewn into the front and back channels.


POCKETS

Now for the fun part.  I had two different fox appliques. First, I ironed them on the pocket squares I cut out.  I knew there was no way they would stay on after washing, so I sewed all around the edges on the sewing machine.  I made a coordinating pocket to go with the appliqued one.



MAKING BIAS TAPE FROM QUILT BINDING.


I didn't have any matching gold bias tape for the ties, but I did have gold quilt binding.  It was very easy to turn into bias tape.

Below on the left, is blue regular double fold, double wide seam binding, used for the shoulder ties.  On the right, is gold bias tape quilt binding. 

As you can see, when opened flat, the gold is twice as wide as the blue.




I split the quilt binding and ironed flat.  Then I folded the sides to meet in the middle, and then in half again to enclose the first fold.   Instant bias tape!   I sewed on as usual.

I attached the pockets, and sewed on the label.  Here are the two dresses, ready to go.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment