Thursday, May 23, 2019

Dresses 17, 18, 19 and 20 - Mythical Maidens

Ambassador Monica sent me these two adorable fabrics, both on pink backgrounds, consisting of fairies and mermaids.  These prints will make sweet dresses for the little ones.  I call dresses seventeen through twenty, "Mythical Maidens".

I started with the Mermaids.  I cut the one yard fabric in half from selvage to selvage, so I could make two dresses. These will be size 5s.  I love pink and green as a combo.

I bought some bright green fat quarters, and cut them all the way across.  The quarters were not originally cut straight with the pattern, so I evened it up as best I could.  I placed side by side, then sewed the two short ends together in a French seam.











Since this put a seam in the middle of the strip, I moved my usual center back seam to the side, so the fabric would be unbroken across the front and back.  I hemmed the bottom, then put the final French seam on the side.  I used bright green ties, and a pink pocket with dark pink trim and green button on one, and  and two rows of bright green rick rack and a pink button on the other   Here they are.




















 The next Mythical Maidens are the fairies.   The fabric was borderline too thin, so I went ahead and lined them.  I know that a dress someone has lovingly made might be rejected if its too see though.

First, I sewed a bright pink solid across the bottom.  I did not use a French seam here, as the lining, once attached seamed sides together, will cover the raw edges. Once the lining was added, this became a sturdy dress that will last quite a long time!  I added white rick rack around the top of the contrast band, and decorated the pockets.  Bright colored ties complete these dresses.








































Now to put labels on them, and off they go to Monica!



3 comments:

  1. I somehow missed that you posted this but wanted to say I love the 3 contrasting fabrics you use rather than the 2 I've been using.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete